The star recently made her musical comeback as she joined forces with Australian producer Byron Keno for ‘The Start Of Something Good’ and as the single continues to build momentum, Helen shares ten fun facts you may have not known about her.
1) Helen is a qualified sailor. She completed her courses in Durban and even got invited to train on the South African team for the Whitbread Round The World Race in 1995. Sadly, she had to decline as she was shooting a TV series at the time.
2) Helen is a SAMA nominee. She was nominated in the ‘Best Pop Single’ category back in 2002 for her hit single ‘Anything’ which went on to top a number of charts nationwide.
3) Helen was one of the housemates for the first season of Celebrity Big Brother South Africa in 2002 which went on to raise R2 million for charity.
4) Helen is Madonna obsessed and has played Madonna in two shows that toured South Africa.
5) Helen has cemented herself as a radio legend. She has been nominated for eight radio award nominations. She took home an award for best Daytime Presenter in 2012 and Best Newsreader in 2018. This year, she is nominated for Best Night Time Show for the popular entertainment show ‘Showbiz In Full HD’, which she hosts on Mix FM.
6) Helen performed in the touring production of 'We Will Rock You' in New Zealand and Korea in its 2007/2008 season and even got to play the lead role of Scaramouche.
7) Helen hates walking down stairs. She had a nasty fall once and has been nervous ever since.
8) Helen sung in an Afrikaans girl group called Blond 3 alongside Mirka Erasmus and the late Irene van Wyk. “It was so much fun being on the road and touring all the small dorpies in South Africa,” she says.
9) Helen’s debut solo single ‘The Monday Club’ was released under the name Miss B Have. This was the only single under the pseudonym and Helen decided to release all future material under her own name.
10) Helen is moving to Dublin!
“We are going to be living just south of Dublin in a place called Dún Laoghaire. It’s a beautiful harbour town,”
Helen will be releasing her new single ’The Start Of Something Good’ in Ireland and into Europe for the summer. She also plans to get on to radio there and will continue to push her entertainment website Showbiz In Full HD from there.
Listen to ‘The Start Of Something Good’ here: