In the past few years, the importance of self-care has come under the spotlight. People are much more aware of the food they eat, the amount of exercise they’re getting, and participating in activities that bring joy for improved mental health. While the focus has traditionally been on women, it’s equally important that men prioritise self-care, and a great way to start is with a simple cup of Green tea.
“We’ve all come to realise the importance of our health and well-being, but it doesn’t have to mean drastic changes to your lifestyle. Start by making small, positive choices – because these little changes add up and can ultimately make a big difference,” commented Candice Sessions, Tetley Marketing Manager. “Our aim is to show South Africans that something as simple as including Tetley Green tea in their day can be a great start.”
Tetley partner dietitian, Mbali Mapholi, explained that Green tea, which has a history dating back thousands of years, boasts an impressive range of health benefits for men. To encourage a shift to a healthier life, Mapholi has shared her top 6 reasons for adding a cup of Green tea to men’s daily routine.
1. Green tea can help men feel more alert and focused thanks to its natural caffeine content. It's a great way to kickstart the day or stay alert during a long workday.
2. Men are at a higher risk for heart-related diseases, but those who drink Green tea regularly may be able to reduce their risk of heart disease and stroke. Green tea has been shown to help lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels, which are both risk factors for heart disease.
3. Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce joint pain and stiffness, making it a great beverage for active men who want to keep their joints healthy.
4. Green tea may help men maintain healthy blood sugar levels, which can reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
5. Men who drink Green tea regularly may have a lower risk of developing certain types of cancer, including prostate cancer. One cup of Green tea has twice the number of antioxidants found in an apple. These can help protect cells from damage and prevent cancerous growths.
6. Finally, drinking Green tea is a great way to stay hydrated and support overall health and well-being. It's a refreshing and healthy alternative to sugary sodas and sports drinks.
South African men share their tips on drinking Tetley Green tea
Thabang Glen Dladla
Thabang Glen Dladla is a renowned South African fitness instructor who works as a personal trainer, group exercise instructor, boot camp commander and all-round fitness professional. His fitness journey began years ago, and a big part of this was not just about getting fit, but about being healthy and looking after himself. He has loved Green tea for as long as he can remember.
“The fact that I am very busy working as a fitness professional, as a club manager, and as a full-time student takes a lot out of me. Green tea helps me to stay focused as the caffeine can stimulate the central nervous system, increasing my energy levels,” noted Dladla.
“As a gym fanatic and a student, Green tea helps boost my metabolic rate and increase fat burning in the short term. My total body fat has dropped by 1.4% since I started drinking Green tea.”
Dladla, whose favoured flavours are the Tetley Green Lemon, and Peach & Orange with Vitamin C, explains how he prepares his Tetley Green tea:
· Add 2-4 Tetley Green teabags to boiled water.
· Discard the teabags and pour the tea into a large jug.
· Add a bit of honey until it has dissolved, squeeze in some lemon and add a bit more water.
· Add some ice cubes and immediately enjoy the iced Tetley Green tea.
David Mahlalela is a health fanatic and has been a fan of Tetley Green tea for years as he believes it’s important for keeping in shape.
“I enjoy my Tetley green tea in the evening with honey and a squeeze of lemon, helping me unwind after a demanding day. My journey with Green tea, however, started with a few misconceptions which many people - especially men in South Africa - still hold,” said Mahlalela who went on to explain these misconceptions.
1. I used to think that Green tea was naturally bitter
I believed that Green had a medicinal taste to it because of the brands I was introduced to at first. I have found that to not be the fact since I started drinking Tetley Green tea five years ago. There are different flavours and variants of Green tea - even the original flavoured variant does not have a bitter taste.
2. I thought Green tea was used to treat specific issues
I have since learnt that it is actually a good thing to drink Green tea daily or regularly for the many benefits it offers.
3. I thought Green tea was just a slimming product
Though green tea may help with accelerating fat loss, it has many other health benefits which are not often spoken about.
Mahlalela shared some of the ‘out and out’ reasons why green tea has become part of his daily lifestyle:
· Improved brain function and focus
“This is important for delivering client outcomes and reaching my objectives in learning. Tetley Green tea contains an amino acid called L-theanine which works to boost alertness, concentration, and mental clarity.”
· Natural energy
“Green tea contains natural yet moderate caffeine which helps me stay on top of my game in business daily. Unlike most energy drinks which give you a high and make it hard to focus, Green tea provides energy which does not affect your concentration negatively and is not harmful to your body.”
· Immune system support
“Green tea has antioxidants which help reduce the ageing of our body’s cells, helping our immune system stay strong and fight off pathogens.”
“Once you have a closer look and try it for yourself, it is clear to see that Green tea should be an essential daily drink for everyone, including men! I recommend Tetley Green tea for every man,” concluded Mahlalela.
Tetley flavoured Green teas include Lemon, Mint, Apple and the NEW Mango with Vitamin B5 and Peach & Orange with Vitamin C.