Pain is defined as an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience, typically caused by illness or injury. It is usually described as being either chronic (usually associated with long-term illnesses like osteoarthritis), or acute. Acute pain typically comes on suddenly and has a limited duration. It may be as a result of damage to tissue such as bone, muscle, or organs, and the onset is often accompanied by anxiety or emotional distress.1
In recent decades, one of the most debated topics of all time has been the health benefits of the cannabis plant. Myths and legends are now being backed by science, and cannabidiol (CBD) has been proven to assist with the relief of minor pain. The pain relief offered by CBD includes pain caused by inflammation, or damage to tissue, muscle, joints or nerves.2
Those who use CBD for pain relief, do so, with good reason: CBD may offer relief from inflammation and pain without the risk of becoming habit-forming3. There is no psychoactive effect (that “high” feeling associated with cannabis use), and CBD is suitable for daytime use.4
Recently launched by Adcock Ingram, ADCO CBD PAIN is formulated using CBD isolate and is available in 200 mg (15 ml) drops, 600 mg (30 ml) drops, and 20 capsules.5 Another innovative pain relief application is ADCO CBD PAIN GEL, which may assist with symptomatic relief of muscle pain and inflammation in the back and joints and from minor sprains and strains. Formulated to include CBD, arnica oil, MSM and menthol, ADCO CBD PAIN GEL boasts 3-in-1 action, and may relieve symptoms of bruising, pain and inflammation.6
- Wheeler T. Pain types and classifications. WebMD, 2019. [cited 2019 Dec 04]; Available at: www.webmd.com/pain-management/guide/pain-types-and-classifications
- Mbvundula EC, Rainsford KD, Bunning AD. Cannabinoids in pain and inflammation. Inflammopharmacology 2004;12(2):99-114.
- Xiong W, Cui T, Cheng K, et al. Cannabinoids suppress inflammatory and neuropathic pain by targeting α3 glycine receptors. J Exp Med 2012;209(6):1121-1134.
- MacCallum CA, Russo EB. Practical considerations in medical cannabis administration & dosing. Eur J Int Med 2018;49:12-19.
- ADCO CBD Pain. Professional information leaflet.
- ADCO CBD Pain Gel Professional information leaflet.