Vencasa celebrates World Sleep Day this 16th March 2018 as it brings awareness to the importance and pleasure of quality sleep.
Image Supplied by Vencasa
Sleep is our most basic need, crucial to our overall health and well-being. Lack of sleep can lead to numerous long and short-term health problems including heart disease, strokes and diabetes. In general, it leads to poor alertness, reduced concentration, low memory recall, and poor academic productivity.
Circadian rhythms refer to cyclic events within the body such as rhythms in hormones, body temperature and alertness levels. Biological clocks from within the body produce circadian rhythms, but environmental factors such as sunlight also affect them. Preserving regular circadian rhythms have been found to lower the risk of sleep disorders, mental health disorders and chronic health issues such as obesity and diabetes.
- Sound sleep is one of the three pillars of good health along with a balanced diet and regular exercise.
- There are close to 100 disorders of sleep, but most are modifiable and manageable with the help of sleep specialists.
- Individuals who get an entire night’s sleep without any interruptions experience lower rates of high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity and other chronic illnesses.
Arianna Huffington, formerly of The Huffington Post and author of The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time states,
“Sleep is the underpinning of our entire well-being. For centuries people thought that sleep was a time of inactivity, that the brain was resting. But all the new science proves that the opposite is true — that during sleep the brain is in a state of intense activity, which is necessary for us to fully recharge and be productive, creative and truly connect with ourselves and others during the day.”
General Facts on World Sleep Day
- World Sleep Day is an annual event to raise awareness of sleep disorders and the burden that they place on society. World Sleep Day 2018 will be held on Friday, March 16, 2018.
- Most sleep disorders are preventable or treatable, yet less than one-third of sufferers seek professional help.
- Sleep problems constitute a global epidemic that threatens health and quality of life for up to 45% of the world’s population.
- Better understanding of sleep conditions and more research into the area will help reduce the burden of sleep disorders on society.
- Three elements of good quality sleep are:
- Duration: The length of sleep should be sufficient for the sleeper to be rested and alert the following day.
- Continuity: Sleep periods should be seamless without fragmentation.
- Depth: Sleep should be deep enough to be restorative.
Below are some tips from Vencasa to ensure quality sleep:
- Have a fixed bedtime and waking up time
- Keep your daytime naps to 45 minutes or less
- Avoid excessive alcohol and smoking at least four hours before bedtime
- Avoid caffeine, some teas and cold drinks six hours before bedtime
- Avoid heavy, spicy and sugary foods four hours before bedtime
- Exercise regularly
- Use a pressure-relieving quality mattress and pillow
- Keep the room well ventilated and at a comfortable temperature
- Block out all distracting noise and eliminate as much light as possible
Vencasa knows that your body, mind and soul deserve quality sleep, and provide a range of exceptional sleep solutions to ensure it.
Vencasa was born from the legendary and reputable long-standing Pharmaline umbrella. Medically informed, scientifically sound and aesthetically magnificent, Vencasa brings the ultimate sleep solution to the market. Providing premium, high quality products with a range of pricing. Vencasa Showrooms have created the perfect balance, where scientific research and product development complement their understanding of the sleep industry, while incorporating genuine care for each person's individual sleep requirement. Vencasa is proud to be the official and exclusive distributor of Tempur products, and world-famous brands such as Magniflex, Reed Family Linen and their own Vencasa Signature Collection. This includes mattresses, headboards, bases and frames, side tables, lamps, occasional furniture, ottomans, linen, pillows, towels and luxurious bedroom accessories, with several price points to accommodate their wide clientele. Vencasa is made for people looking for a high quality, yet affordable range of products.
Vencasa brings the art of sleep to your 'casa', from the smallest to the most essential sensory detail. We invite you to 'come home' to Vencasa for the ultimate bedroom experience.
With so much on offer, it's easy to see that Vencasa is the home of perfect sleep.
Vencasa – come home to the art of sleep.