South Africa’s Most Beautiful Drive – The Cape 1000
Image supplied by Cape 1000
Born out of nostalgia from a bygone era, filled with mythical stories of epic, long distance street races, and black and white images of soot stained men standing next to incredible looking machinery that defy belief, the Cape 1000 was conceptualized and run for the first time in 2022.
Within a very short space of time this year’s event was sold out with the maximum of 60 cars registered for, “South Africa’s Most Beautiful Drive”. Scheduled to run from 19th to 24th of March this year, entries include a stunning 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster, one of five 1935 Bentley “Blue Train”, 1973 Ferrari Daytona GTB4, 1993 Lamborghini Diablo and the super-rare 2008 Bugatti Veyron.
“We were overwhelmed and thrilled with the number, and variety of cars registered for the event,”
says Event Director Vanessa Crichton,
“and adding to that a number of city councils in the Western Cape have welcomed us with open arms and we look forward to creating public experiences with them.”
The popularity of the rally has seen the introduction of an exciting fifth category “Specials” class. A 1965 Shelby Daytona Coupe “Continuation”, a 1933 Ford Model B Pickup RestoMod and a 1956 Porsche 365 Speedster Recreation will be given a chance to shine in this category amongst others. The new Specials category joins the Tribute, Classic, Modern Classic and Sports categories.
Inspired by legendary tribute races from all over the world, the Cape 1000 sees participants compete (and, enjoy) on some of the best roads in the world, over the course of four days, with relaxed “touring” taking up 60% of the route, and the other 40% being the subject of timing (regularity).
The rally starts and ends at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town, meanders through to Hermanus, then to George and Franschhoek before heading back to the Waterfront. Entrants can expect stunning scenery, accommodation in some of South Africa’s finest hotels, and true petrol-headed camaraderie.
The categories include:
- Tribute – 1927 - 1957
- Classic – Pre 1976
- Modern Classic – 1977 - 1996
- Sports – 1997 – present day
“The team at Cape 1000 together with the participants are looking forward to welcoming the public and urge them to come out a see some of these very rare and special cars that will be taking part,”
says Dave Alexander, route convenor,
“we encourage the public to view our website and follow our social media pages in the coming weeks for updates on suggested viewing areas, we will be hosting the vintage themed registration on Sunday 19th March at the V&A Waterfront” he says."
The Cape 1000 is also proud to be in partnership with SCL Travel, Top Gear SA, The Archive and associated partners.
Beneficiaries of the Cape 1000 include the Motorsport Legends Benevolent Fund and Quadpara Association of South Africa (QASA).