Potato chips is one of the most recognisable snack foods around, who can resist potato’s fried into a crisp or baked until crispy on the outside and soft and mushy on the inside and then salted. Potato chips are delicious and very popular in our local supermarkets. They always satisfy the taste buds as well as hitting all the essential characteristics of a good treat.
But the forbidden fruit of the vegetable world is the most toxic processed foods. These are normally packed with loads of preservatives.
I have come up with a quick and easy way to make homemade baked potato chip, definitely the healthier option. This is probably one of the best snacks or side dishes you can have without feeling the guilt.
Baked Indian Potato Chips
- 4-5 medium sized potato’s;
- ½ tsp organic turmeric power;
- 1 tsp coriander powder;
- 1 tsp Garam masala;
- 1 tblsp of chick pea flour;
- 1 tsp red masala (ground red chillies and garlic in olive oil);
- 1tsp green masala (ground green chillies and garlic in olive oil);
- 3-4 cloves of garlic;
- A sprig of rosemary;
- Dried mixed herbs;
- Fresh coriander for garnish;
- 3 tblsp of olive oil; and
- Salt and pepper to taste;
- Peel and cut potato in to slices, I prefer them to be slightly thick, I order to get the roast potato effect, but you can cut them in very thin slices as well;
- Wash and keep sliced potatoes in a dish of water;
- In another dish add your olive oil, Turmeric powder, Green & Red masala, Coriander powder, Garam masala, Chick pea flour and Mixed herbs;
- Mix into a paste, make sure the paste is not to thick, if you find the paste getting thick add a little water and oil to make into a runny consistency;
- Drain sliced potatoes and place in an oven proof dish;
- Pour the mixture over the potato’s;
- Add chopped garlic and fresh rosemary;
- Mix the marinate with the potato’s and make that all the slices have been evenly coated;
- Preheat oven on a 200°C
- Place dish in oven and bake for about 30 – 45 minutes;
- Give potato’s a turn every 10 min;
- Potato chips should be golden brown and crispy on the outside; and
- Take out of oven and garnish with coriander.
Serve piping hot!!!